Wednesday 22 April 2015

642 Things to Write about

I did not realise that it had been so long since I've posted here. Almost two years! That's impressive, even by my standards.
In the meantime, I've actually started another blog. This one is about hair care and if you care to take a look, it's called Can't Stop Thinking About Hair over on Wordpress.
I'm back here because last Christmas I was given the writing exercise book 642 Things to Write About by The San Francisco Writers' Grotto. My cousin Caroline gave it to me because - like the rest of my family - she knows what a nerd I am for writing.
Only today did I pick it up and begin working through a few of the exercises. I try to write in my journal every day, but some days I get really bored of my voice and need a tad more direction. So I though I would reopen this blog and post the exercises daily.
I realise that with 642 exercises, that's almost two years worth of blog posts. But they're simple exercises, and my idea at this stage is to do a few of them each day, and then I will schedule the posts ahead of time. Cheating? Maybe. But are there even rules, except for what I give myself? It's my writing practice and my blog.
And speaking of my writing practice and rules, I'm just going to give a fair warning that because these are exercises, they will in no way be edited or even make sense most of the time. But I also want to start putting my writing in front of an audience, so this is a good, fairly low risk way to start. I may add some commentary to some of the posts if there are any back stories to my responses.

Enough rambling. Here is the first exercise.

What can happen in a second
Life can happen in a second.
Love can happen in a second.
Creation happens in a second.
So does beauty.
Sadness happens in a second.
Inspiration comes together in a second.
A kiss takes a second. Or a few.
A blink. And a faint.
Pain. And the world.
Poetry.

Thank you for reading,
Astrid

No comments:

Post a Comment