Monday 4 May 2015

You have just swallowed your pride and done something you didn't want to do. Your friend wants to know why. The two of you are driving around an almost-full parking garage looking for a space for the friend's oversize pickup. Write the scene.

This scene takes characters and plot from the old project from a few entries ago. Sarah is the protagonist and she is in the car with her friend Ashleigh.

'Why?' she says, pulling at the wheel to turn us down yet another aisle in the parking garage. I let the question hang in the air and search for a vacant spot.
'There!' I sit up and point; one of the little lights on the roof is green. We slow down as we get closer, then speed up again to the sound of frustrated sighs. My friend's pickup is too big to squeeze between the sparkling SUVs that sit right on the lines.
Ashleigh's jaw is tight as she scans for another space. I can tell she's still waiting for an answer. My stomach roils uncomfortably and I press my back into the seat, struggling to find and explanation that will appease my territorial best friend.
'I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner,' I say, twisting my hands in my lap. I'm not use to feeling this uncertain.
'He's my brother!' she sayd and her voice rises, 'and you're my friend. I'm mad at both of you.' She closes her eyes for a fraction of a second and I look out into the lot until I'm sure she's focused on the road again.
'I told him no anyway,' I say.
'But you still saw him. Without me.'

No comments:

Post a Comment